Bowl 93 ~ Vegan “Tonkotsu” Ramen. I Like Ramen. Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.

I have to say from the top, this bowl seriously impressed me! I was very sceptical going in to eat a 100% plant based only ramen, but the legends at I Like Ramen have done something remarkable here. 

An emulsion of cashew nuts made for the basis of this broth and between that the oils used, it had all the hallmarks of a thick Tonkotsu broth, just with zero meat used! 

Toppings were clever, well crafted, and thought about too; you know when you bite into a roasted cherry tomato it is like lava exploding and scalds your tongue for days, they had obviously roasted these ahead and put them in at room temperature, a small thing, but a very important one. Yellow wavy noodles, menma, crispy tofu slices, kimchi, fried shallots for some crunch, spring onions, sesame and chill threads. 

If this was in Sydney, I would eat here often! Well done to Bobby who I had a good chat with - I will be back! 

Open Tuesday to Saturday from 4-9pm, and lunch on Thursday, Friday only from 11:30.

Comments

Popular Posts